MAMMA

In the South we address our parents as “Daddy” and “Mamma.” These are terms of endearment and less formal than “Father” and “Mother.” Although my father drew close to the Lord in his latter years, My mother, Jessie Lois Long, was always the more spiritually zealous of the two. Mamma was not shy about her Christian experience and was always ready to share her testimony or pray for anyone anywhere. Any guest in our home was a captive audience and was prayed for if he or she happened to mention an ailment or problem. Mamma once prayed for a visiting insurance agent. He received his healing right there in her living room.

The family’s reputation was important to her. She was fearless when it came to sharing her Christian testimony or taking a stand for her faith, and it was important to her that no one in the family do anything that would appear to be a bad testimony or bad example for a professing Christian. I called her one night and told her that our church had a square-dance the night before. With a calm but concerned voice she said, “Whaaaaat? Don’t tell nobody!!”
She opened the home for prayer meetings and Bible studies and would invite her friends and neighbors. She was in no hurry for people to leave and would visit as long as anyone desired to stay. Daddy, on the other hand, at some point would get up and walk toward the bedroom, saying, “You all stay and visit as long as you want. I’m going on to sleep.” People were saved, healed, and filled with the Holy Spirit in those meetings over the years.

She especially wanted to encourage and befriend any young man who was called into the ministry. I received many phone calls from mamma telling me what a joy it was to get a visit from some neighbor who was now following the Lord, or who had stopped in to fellowship around the things of God. She also was my biggest fan and at times made me uncomfortable as she tried to function as my Public Relations Officer, telling folk what a good preacher I was etc. (When Mamma went on to be with the Lord, my sister Eva took over that position).

Mamma would often call and give me the latest community update. I did not have to carry on any conversation during these calls. All I had to do was listen, and say “um humm” every minute or so. I could have laid the phone down, walked over to the refrigerator to get something to drink, and then pick up the phone again without her ever knowing I had left the conversation. Then when she had completed her monologue or was interrupted by some other distraction, she would abruptly say, “Okay. I have to go. Good bye,” and hang up without giving me an opportunity to respond or say goodbye.

I often had to remind her not to drive off so fast after starting the car's engine. I told her she should wait a few seconds because the cats needed time to move out from under the car or off the engine. But every time she started the car, she would immediately press the accelerator and speed off in a flash. We lost a few cats that way, some lying lifeless on the carport, others dropping from the engine as she drove down the highway. She did not do this intentionally. She just kept forgetting to make that pause.

Mamma had special mispronunciations for many words. She took us children to “Sinday” school. She gave the kids “Kripsy” Kream doughnuts. She read the “usepaper" to get the latest “use.” As we were approaching Albuquerque, New Mexico on a trip across the United States, mama asked me if we were near “Albemarle.” I told her the correct pronunciation, and then later she asked me how far it was to “Abbaturkey,” She told me she was going to Jonna Faye’s salon to get a “primmanent” in her hair. 
Mamma was a faithful friend. I don’t remember her ever holding a grudge. She could get really angry or be offended and insulted by someone, and then turn around and show genuine compassion and friendship to that very person. Her desire was to serve the Lord and be a good testimony to her faith and to the Lord. The Bible says regarding the faithful wife, “Her children shall rise up and call her blessed.” We also were blessed.                  ---Billy Long

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs Parker's Electric Paddle

Some Thoughts on the Manifested Presence of God

"That Way I Can Kill the Whole Bird With One Stone."