THE GOOD OLD DAYS AND A WONDERFUL TOMORROW

 DRIVING GRANDMA TO THE DEVER FIELD
I was ten years old, talking with my grandmother (Ma Ma) in her back yard, when my grandfather (Pa Pa) came walking out the back door. She said to him, “Tharon, I have to do some work down at the Dever field, and I need you to drive me.

The field was a half mile away at the end of a dirt road. Pa Pa did not want to drive her to the field and have to wait on her. Neither did he want to leave her there and have to guess at when to go back and get her. He thought for a few seconds, reached into his pocket and took out the car keys, looked at them, looked at the car…and then looked at me.
“Son,” he said, “Can you drive a car?”
I was 10 years old and had never driven a car, but many times I had sat in Daddy’s pick-up truck going through all the motions of changing gears while pretending to drive it. Without hesitation, I responded, “Yes, Sir. I can drive it.” I was not about to miss this opportunity.

Without another word, he handed me the keys and went back into the house. I walked around and got into the car and sat in the driver’s seat. My feet barely touched the pedals, and I could barely see over the steering wheel and out the front window.
The first miracle was that my grandfather was letting me, a 10-year old boy, drive his car. The second miracle was that my grandmother got into the car with me. From the passenger’s side she looked at me, and said, “Son, can you really drive this thing?” "Yes, Ma'am,” I said.

The vehicle had a straight stick with clutch, no automatic gears. I put my foot on the clutch and held it down to the floor as I started the engine. I knew nothing would happen while the clutch was down. I put the car into first gear, then gradually let out on the clutch as I lightly pressed the accelerator. The car began to move forward slowly, and I managed to shift into second gear and then into third. I was a happy young fellow driving the car down that dirt road. We made it safety to the field, and I drove her back home after we finished our work. My cousin Eddie, also ten years old, heard about it and insisted on his turn “at the wheel.” Those were the days!

MY ENCOUNTER WITH THE LAW
I was twelve years old and already experienced at driving the farm tractor and Daddy’s truck around the farm. It was not unusual to see me driving up and down that dirt road with my head barely visible. I had to have a cushion behind my back. In those days we boys were driving tractors and vehicles when we could barely see over the steering wheel.

On one occasion when we were working at the Dever field, Daddy sent me to the store to get the refreshments. It was time for the traditional 9:00 AM Pepsi break that was typical in most southern farm work in those days. I drove the half-mile dirt road back home, parked the truck in our yard, and walked across highway 9 to Uncle Norwood’s and Aunt Venawait’s store.
Having purchased drinks and snacks for all the workers, I walked back across the road, got into the pickup, and started my drive back down the dirt road to the Dever field. About half-way down I discovered that a work gang from the county prison accompanied by a couple armed guards were doing some road work. Fearing that the men with the badges would arrest me for driving without a license, I slowed the truck almost to a stop as I tried to figure out what to do. When suddenly one of the officers saw me and motioned for me to approach.

I put the truck in first gear and moved very slowly. When I reached him, he said to me, “Son, is Seabrook Long your father?” I sheepishly said, “Yes, Sir.” The officer then looked me in the eye and said, “Your dad said to tell you to go back to the store and pick up a couple other things for him.” I was so relieved. I went back to the store, and then waved at the officers as I passed them on my return trip to the field. I’m sure he could barely see my hand and the top of my head as I drove by. So many great memories from childhood, and especially from the small family farm culture of those days. Another "Gone with the Wind.”

THE FUTURE
I look back nostalgically at those days. As the old hymn says, “Precious memories, how they linger. How they ever flood my soul. In the stillness of the midnight, precious sacred scenes unfold.” I have many wonderful memories of events, people, the culture, family, friends, and adventures. However, I know that too many people see their past as a nightmare. But there is one fact that is true for all of us. There is a wonderful future for all of us who know Jesus Christ, the living God.
“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” (1 Cor 2:9). Better days are ahead. Jesus said HE has gone to prepare a place for us, so that we may be where He is. He told the thief on the cross, “Today you will be with me in paradise.” The promise of scripture is true.
“The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb. The leopard shall lie down with the young goat. The calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play by the cobra’s hole, and the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper’s den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.” (Isaiah 11: 6-9).
It is a blessing if you had a good and pleasant past. But God offers His kingdom peace and joy to you now, and that which lies ahead for God’s people is wonderful beyond description. Give you life to Jesus Christ today. Eternity is still ahead.

But meanwhile, the Bible says that when the kingdom of God rules, "there will be no breaking in or going out; there will be no outcry in the streets. Blessed and happy are the people who are in such a state; happy are the people whose God is the Lord!" Psalm 144:14-15. We should be praying daily as Jesus taught us, "Thy Kingdom come."


Billy Long
P.O. Box 147, Longs, SC 29568
broblong@gmail.com
www.billylongministries.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs Parker's Electric Paddle

"That Way I Can Kill the Whole Bird With One Stone."

Some Thoughts on the Manifested Presence of God