KEEPING GOD AT A DISTANCE



KEEPING GOD AT A DISTANCE.

"My heart and my flesh cry out for the Living God." Psalm 84:2

All men have to reckon with the kingdom rule of God. No one can face it unchanged and walk away the same. It is an event that goes into the book. Our response to it is recorded. God cannot be ignored or treated indifferently. His presence (just by His showing up) forces a decision. When He shows up we can no longer plead ignorant or innocent. God’s manifested presence requires a “yea” or a “nay.” You cannot innocently say, “I’ll get back to you later.”

That’s why so many people are afraid of the supernatural presence of God. In that place no one can be indifferent and pretend. He has to say, “Lord, here you are. I surrender and will follow you,” or he closes his eyes, covers his ears, pulls his uncircumcised flesh over his heart, and says, “I didn’t see anything or hear anything.”

Men like to keep God at a distance because the closer He gets the more difficult it is to lie about what they are withholding or hiding. The closer He gets the more clarity there is on the reality of their condition and how unfamiliar they are with Him. And if they are set to do their own thing, they will be angry because the presence of God represents a challenge to their will. Isaiah’s words are true. When men left God they went “each to his own way.”

But may we remember that "in His presence is fullness of joy." We should follow David's example. "O, God, You are my God; Early will I seek you; My sould thirsts for you in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory." Psalm 63:1-2. In another place David said, "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for you O God. My soul thirsts for God for the living God." Psalm 42:1-2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs Parker's Electric Paddle

"That Way I Can Kill the Whole Bird With One Stone."

Some Thoughts on the Manifested Presence of God