THROUGH IT ALL


There was a popular song a few years ago that said, “Through it all I’ve learned to trust in Jesus, I’ve learned to trust in God.” It speaks of standing in faith and obedience in good times and in bad times. We must love Jesus Christ and hold to Him during the good times blessing and prosperity and in the hard times of adversity and perplexity.

To be fully trained as God’s servants we need to walk in faithful obedience in the full range of experience from “pit” to “peak” and everywhere in between. Like the disciples we want to see God’s miraculous presence and glory on the mount of transfiguration. But we also need to be tempered and seasoned by the fires, testing, and disciplines of obedience. There is a depth and substance in those who have endured and continued faithful to the Lord in the full range of experience on the mountain, through the valley, and on the plateaus and level places in between. We gain spiritual substance and depth as we walk with Jesus through desert places as well as “green pastures.” We enjoy God’s peace as we are “led by still water,” but we also stand in faith as we as we face the stormy sea. The Psalmist speaks of remembering the Lord from the Jordon valley as well as from the heights of Hermon. He experienced the Lord’s lovingkindness in the daytime and His song in the night. Near or far, high or low, there is no extremity that can separate us from God’s love and care.

We are encouraged and strengthened by those who can speak eloquently of the “mountain top,” and who now rejoice at the awesome power of God in bringing them victory, healing, deliverance, help, and strength. But also, we are encouraged by those who can share the grace, comfort, and intimate revelation of the Lord’s presence that came to them in the valley, those who held to Jesus in faith during the very “dark night” when it seemed the enemy of our souls was crouching over and about to devour.

I am blessed by those who can encourage me in my valley without despising me for being there, those who went through the valley in faith without becoming disillusioned or bitter. I am also blessed by those who can rejoice with me on my mountain without envying my experience, those who have experienced the glory of God and yet remain humble and who are able to share the joy and encouragement they found in God’s presence.

“I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4: 12-13.

“Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there. If I make my bed in hell, behold You are there. IF I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your right hand shall hold me. If I say ‘Surely the darkness shall fall on me,’ even the night shall be light about me; indeed the darkness shall not hide from You. But the night shines as the day.” Psalms 139: 7-12.

“For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs Parker's Electric Paddle

"That Way I Can Kill the Whole Bird With One Stone."

Some Thoughts on the Manifested Presence of God